Friday, April 8, 2011

Extreme Bag Lunches

Watch out, it'll be the next great TV series. Because I'm pretty sure "Extreme Couponing" will fail. Don't believe me? Check your TV guide!

I grew up with fantastic parents who make me bag lunches that were envy-inspiring. Even on field trips, when we had to use brown paper bags instead of my usual insulated lunchbox, my dad would decorate the bag with Sharpies, drawing comics or turning it into a puppet or just doodling all over. It made meal time a family event, even though I wasn't with them. *warm fuzzies*

Today is my half-day off, so instead of being responsible and doing laundry and cleaning, I decided to make lunches for some people I care about and wanted to show love. Let's face it, making people smile and feel good is the greatest thing you can do to make yourself feel good. And I do not feel good about myself right now, for more reasons than one. So cooking is my therapy :)


Here is what I put together!

- Black bean, yam and avocado salad

- Shredded Chicken

- Quinoa with Red Peppers

- Blackberries

- Oatmeal Cranberry Cookies

- Love :)
Black Bean Salad
 I discovered this combination yesterday when I threw a desperate lunch together of yams, avocados and black beans.
Smaller yams bake up a bit easier. Pierce 2 of them with a fork, and pop them in a 350 degree oven for about 90 minutes. When they are soft and juicy, pull them out. When cool, remove the skins and cube them.
In a bowl, combine a can of rinsed black beans, the yams, and diced red pepper. Squeeze the juice from one half of a lime over the top. Garnish liberally with avocado, and a slice of lime.


Shredded Chicken
Coat chicken breasts in olive oil, sear in oven-safe pan. Once both sides are golden, transfer to 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes, checking them occasionally till done. Let cool a bit in the pan, and then use two forks to shred. This is labor intensive!
Grind up in a mortar and pedestal the following:
-1 tsp cumin
- Some dried poblano pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes

Sprinkle over the chicken. Add about 1/2 cup chicken broth, and one large tomato that has been thoroughly minced. Let everything simmer for about 15 minutes until the juices start to thicken and the chicken tastes the way you like it. Add more of the spices as you see fit. Salt (judiciously) with Adobe Garlic Salt. When it's done, turn off the heat and sprinkle with cilantro.

Quinoa with Red Peppers

Mince half a red pepper and a large clove of garlic.
Add to sauce pan with 4 TB olive oil. Turn the heat on medium high and bring to a sizzle, when the peppers start to brighten in color, add 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa. Let simmer for about 20 minutes until all water is absorbed. Salt carefully.

Serve the Shredded Chicken over the Quinoa, and garnish with lime and cilantro.

Dessert!! Those delicious cookies I made the other day, and black berries :) Such fun!

This is a wonderfully flavorful, filling and nutrient rich meal. I highly recommend you give it a shot.

1 comment:

  1. that looks ridiculously delicious. I wish you packed my bag lunches!! :)

    ReplyDelete