Sunday, February 20, 2011

Food is blissfully stable.

 Things are crazy in Wisconsin right now. Regardless of where you stand politically, it is a intense situation. And so, naturally, I am drawn even more the simple joy of food.
I picked up Jacob from his mother's parent's house on Friday because his mom kept him home from school, and given the warning that he had a fever and was alternating between total lethargy and having some energy. When I picked him up, the minute we got in the car he was non-stop energy! Talking a mile a minute, being silly. Kept talking about how happy he was...and I decided it was time for some light-hearted fare. The weather, having turned to the 50's and sunny, inspired some subs and strawberries! I have to say, the subs were the best I had in my life. Try this:
  1.  Slice a Sub Roll in half. Sprinkle both sides with red wine vinegar and Penzeys Pasta Sprinkle. 
  2.  One side gets a deli slice of provolone, and the other some salami. Broil till cheese melts and salami is crispy.
  3.  Add tomatoes, lettuce, and turkey. 
Seriously delicious. Jacob ate the entire thing. Let me put this in perspective. It was probably about 5 inches in diameter and a few inches high. Contained a fair amount of stuff inside. I ate mine and was stuffed. Methinks someone is growing! Also, he ate all of his red peppers and strawberries. Sick? I don't think so. While Jacob was finishing his food (he is a s-l-o-w eater) I made more cakes for The Pub.

These ones contained port and semi-sweet chocolate. Deliciously rich. I made a chocolate port ganache to serve on top! Super easy- reduce the port, scald the cream, stir in chocolate and cool in a pastry bag.

 And now it's Sunday. Saturday passed in a blurr of jobs. Massaged from 8-3, and then waitressed. I ate crap too, so I don't feel like sharing. BUT this morning, this was a morning of yummies. NOT HEALTHY. But yummy. See, I go into the kitchen to make some of my Yorkshire Tea (best breakfast tea I've found) and spied a package of mint chocolate meringues on the fridge. WOOT delicious. Apparently Jacob made them with my mother-in-law last night. I'm a fan. Fantastic way to wake up.

I was super hungry, and was craving blueberry pancakes, but couldn't bring myself to make them for just me. So I had some blueberries, strawberries, yogurt and oats. One of my favorite snacks is to combined fruit, yogurt and oats. I love the contrast in textures and flavors.

AND THEN JAYSON WOKE UP. Poop. So I skyped with my German sister for a while, and then decided, what the heck, I want pancakes. And made some. WITHOUT eggs. Because we didn't have eggs. So this was the recipe:



Sunday Morning Disgustingly Good and Unhealthy Blueberry Pancakes
1 cup flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup cream (it's all we had for dairy)
1/2+1/3 cup water
1 cup blueberries

Blend swiftly, and cook in frying pan. Serve with butter and syrup. They were really good. And gave me good warm feelings in my tummy.

Also, I'm starting boot camp at the YMCA today, so the good warm feelings don't settle around my tummy. Balance ;)

1 comment:

  1. LOVES me some blueberry pancakes!
    Lady, I SO badly wish I could be at the pub trying some of your delicious treats! They have got to amazing! Someday, I need a "Julie's lesson on how to cook everything and have it be delicious" class. Seriously :)

    ReplyDelete