Monday, February 21, 2011

How'bout Cornbread?

This photo has nothing to do with my post.
I just want to say, sometimes I hate my cat.
Remember when you used to say, "how'bout I'm the mom and you're the daughter, and..." and your world of make-believe would include really short days, yummy snacks and lots more "how'bouts?" Well, I do. I have always lived one foot in the land of "how'bouts," and have always used that make-believe to make life more fun.
Now that I'm a stepmom, I get to pretend I'm a mom again. Like today, for instance, I put together round one (of four) snacks for Jacob's class. Having seen the abominable snacks parents have been brining in, including teddy grahams, fruit snacks, and those cheese-cracker sandwiches, I immediately began brainstorming snacks that were healthy, but yummy. Here's the line-up:

  • Tuesday: Mini Cornbread Muffins with Cherry Tomatoes
  • Wednesday: Mini Yogurt Cup with Pineapple Chunks
  • Thursday: Slices of Apples, String Cheese
  • Friday: Oatmeal Raspberry Muffins, Carrot Sticks


It's not brilliant, but if it were my kid, I'd be happier they were eating stuff that has more nutrition and less sugar. So...those kids are getting a secret dose of flax seed, fiber, and love. Aren't I an evil stepmom?

Anyway, the point of this post was to share the self-declared awesome recipe I created tonight, using the cornbread recipe on the container of cornmeal as a template.

Muffins


Yummy Cornbread Mini Muffins
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup cornmeal (yellow)
1/4 cup brown sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup minced green pepper
11/2 cups whole milk
several dashes of tabasco (to taste!)

Oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk dry ingredients. Whisk wet ingredients. Blend everything together. Spoon into mini, greased, muffin tin. (The tin isn't mini, the size of the muffins are mini. Just to clarify ;)
Bake until done....I'm sorry, I didn't watch the clock too closely. Check after 10 minutes. They are done when they have ceased to rise, the edges begin to brown, and a knife comes out clean. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. mmm....cornbread muffins with cheddar baked in! sounds pretty amazing! I LOVE cornbread muffins! I can't wait to have my own kitchen so I can start making some of these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, If I were a mommy I would SO aprreciate the less-sugar thing. Why are kids foods so full of it??? Its literally appaling!!

    ReplyDelete