Sunday, February 13, 2011

True Love





















One of the reasons why I love my husband is because he uses meals to communicate love. Obviously, food is one of our "love languages." ;) For example:  for this Valentine's Day, my guy treated me to one of the best meals I have ever had, Bouillabaisse paired with bread and Pernod.

Bouillabaisse is a funny name (sorry French folk, but that's a lot of double letters) for a very simple but delicious fish stew. Jayson's included shrimp, lobster, scallops and mussels, seasoned with orange rind, saffron, fennel and probably a host of other delicious spices he hasn't disclosed. He toasted the bread and scraped it with garlic, and served the meal with delicious Pernod, a pastis that paired wonderfully with the saffron. Basically, I'm in heaven right now :)


Another treat of the evening (so far) has been watching Jacob enjoy dinner. First of all, how many 5-year olds eat scallops, lobster, shrimp, etc, all without complaint? You create picky eaters, and we have endeavored to do the complete opposite. Success! Not only did he eat all, but was wildly entertaining in the process, pretending his mussel shell was a mouth and making it talk, eat and be silly. Here he is with his lobster, and his talking shell!

Ah, what a night! And it has only just begun :) While I'm not sure what Jayson's plans are (although he's pulling out champagne flutes) at least I've contributed by putting our new sheets on the bed (I splurged and got nice creamy sheets that aren't pilled!) and have a wonderful box of chocolates to share. I found this company called Moonstruck that makes some really complex chocolates! I'll let you know how good they are. They certainly do look pretty!

Chocolate Fudge Buttercream, Milk Chocolate with Himalayan Pink Sea Salt and Caramel




Pink Champagne Heart Truffle, Molten Lava Heart Truffle





Mystery Truffle (I can't remember), Champagne Truffle





Well, off for more fun! Happy Valentine's Day!!

2 comments:

  1. The chocolates were amazing, especially paired with Champagne and "Sleepless in Seattle." Seriously? I have the best husband. AND HE GOT ME TOOLS FOR MY TOOLBOX! True love is getting your spouse pliers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I not comment on this??? I read it- I thought I did!!!
    Anyways- this night sounded fantastic! I SAW these delicious looking chocolates at whole foods and wanted to get them for Alex SOOOO badly, but couldn't afford it! haha. I settled on some "Seattles Best" Truffles, which were good, but didn't quite pack the "I love you" punch that I was looking for! hahaha. Anyhoo- sounds so fun! Perhaps I am just lucky because I'm not single but I honestly LOVE valentines day. Best day all year :) Remembering love is a GREAT reason to have a holiday (no matter how badly the card companies want to ruin it!)

    ReplyDelete